POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crackle pigment in functions : Re: Crackle pigment in functions Server Time
1 Sep 2024 20:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crackle pigment in functions
From: Jérôme M  Berger
Date: 23 Nov 2000 07:08:55
Message: <3A1D08D7.54E75832@enst.fr>
Gail Shaw wrote:

> Can anyone explain why crackle is so slow
> when used as a pigment function in isosurfaces.
> The following isosurface renders at 8 pps.
>
> Any suggestions on speeding this up? I tried rendering a crackle
> pigmented plane and using it as an image_map in an isosurface,
> but it was just as slow

	"crackle solid" has an infinite max_gradient, and the higher the
max_gradient, the slower the render. If you really need it to be
"solid", you might want to specify max_gradient manually, rather than
using eval (but of course, if you lower it too much artifacts may
appear).

--

* Abandon the search for truth, * mailto:ber### [at] inamecom
* Settle for a good fantasy.    * http://www.enst.fr/~jberger